A Long 300 Years
October 6, 2023
Happy Birthday to those born for the first time or a second time on October 6th. Our verse today helps illustrate how important it is to not just follow Christ but to bring along generations behind us to follow Christ.
The nation of Israel had not been a nation very long and had only had 2 leaders up to this point – Moses & Joshua. They had spent over 400 years captive to Egypt, 40 years wandering in the wilderness and 25 years conquering the promised Land. Both Moses & Joshua were faithful leaders and used mightily by God But …. 10 After all that generation were gathered to their fathers, another generation arose after them who didn’t know Yahweh, nor the work which he had done for Israel. 11 The children of Israel did that which was evil in Yahweh’s sight, and served the Baals. Judges 2:10-11. Over the next 300 years (1400-1100 BC) of Israel’s history, they went through a vicious cycle of “rebellion, retribution, repentance and restoration” (1) Every generation of Israelites forgot God and then faced the consequences of their rejection. The book of Judges contains the stories of men and women God used to save His people from destruction. They could have chosen to put God first but every time, they chose the popular gods of their neighbors over the one True God. After these 300 year and 12 judges (warriors), God gave them their desire – an earthly king.
Here are a few thoughts on what we can learn and apply today.
- We each individually go through the same cycle of sin as Israel did. Before we become a Christian we are in an act of rebellion against God, and it takes His love & grace to forgive us.
- As Christians our sins are forgiven but we still need to keep the period of rebellion short. Let’s confess our sins on a regular basis. (1 John 1:9) Daily – hourly. Don’t let sin separate us from a vibrant relationship with Jesus.
- IT IS VITAL that we train up the next generation to follow Christ. Each individual must make a personal decision to follow Christ but we as parents / grand parents must strive to do everything we can to point our loved ones toward Christ. Their eternal destination is in the balance. Each generation of Christians is responsible to the generations following them.
- We will one day get a perfect & just King – the One True King who will rule over a new heaven and a new earth. The cycle of sin will be forever broken.
- Please share Christ’s love with your parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren – all of your family so they can experience true forgiveness.
’69 / ’83 Quarryville PA
- (1) Wilmingtons Guide to the Bible – Tyndale house Publishing 2011